I’m everything I’m supposed to be. Through my struggles I’ve
gained a certain perspective on society and I appreciate my capacity to
reflect. I come from ruins and have been
trying to reconstruct something that was never stable to start. It’s been a challenge
dealing with my insecurities. I am not like my peers. I have a deep and
personal account of the struggle and I see that many people do not understand and/or
do not care. This has left me feeling alone and at the brink of an emotional
breakdown. Why this need to feel connected to others?
I know I’m perceived as overly emotional or sensitive, but
that’s because I know my place. I know for a fact that the pressures to conform
to the social norms have distorted my sense of self and have warped my identity
to reflect everything I've been through. We all wear many hats, as they say, but
for me it’s not just a matter of changing to fit into an environment, as people
would assume a chameleon does, but rather, as the chameleon, I’m simply a
creature of comfort and like to change my appearance on any given day given the
mood I’m in. I have nothing to hide, but my emotions, which have stirred up
thoughts of worthlessness as I’m lead to feel that I’m perusing a goal that is unattainable.
Am I thus condemned into a state of perpetual unhappiness? I don’t think so.
Being self-observant and aware of one’s needs, desires,
motives, etc. will allow us to develop our will. Realizing how most of these
“needs” are socially constructed will allow us to open our minds to infinite
possibilities of acceptance. Perhaps it’s only then we can start to appreciate
the seemingly insignificant moments in life that bring joy and a smile to our
face.
It’s difficult to confront our fears, but taking a step back
to analyze our reality can increase our consciousness. Sometimes the daily
trials and stressors can blur our perception of self in society, that’s why
educating ourselves is incredibly important, as like the mist when the sun
rises, clarity is achieved. We all have and will struggle to meet goals. That’s
just human nature; unlike other animals, we labor to produce our means of
subsistence. Our capacity to transform our environment has allowed us to change
our own selves in the process.
I strongly believe that modern society contradicts the
essence of human nature. Though we have a dark and selfish side, we too have an
empathetic and cooperative aspect to our nature that I feel isn’t appreciated
enough now-a-days. We are incredible creatures, as we experience emotion before
we are even aware of such feelings. We do not fully understand ourselves and
it’s foolish to think there is a right way of doing things.
All in all, through deviance, most of it not by choice, I’ve
been able to see and feel things others haven’t. The time spent as an outsider
has only enriched my experience and I am grateful for it. I am not the typical
female. I am everything I am supposed to be. I accept and value my differences
even though others find it difficult to accept them. I’ve always felt like a
walking stereotype, but I realize now that I am more than that. I can transform
my environment to reflect my will, but this has only been possible with the
presence of opportunity.
I’m a queer Hispanic female born and raised to immigrant
parents that only sought to improve their children’s standard of living. And
now, I’m at Cal, an elite university that has a history of social movements
increasing awareness of marginalized groups on and off-campus. I’m here for a
reason, right?
-Bee
No comments:
Post a Comment