Sunday, January 21, 2018

Back to Elementary Math

The world seems to open up when you restore your faith in yourself. I mean, I studied and taught myself fourth grade math. I learned about solving fractions and long division using the vocabulary: standard algorithm, place value disk model, etc.. I feel like I know math. I didn't understand any of the methods when I was in elementary, middle, and high school. I knew about math, obviously, and I was able to solve problems, like, I remembered "the hundred's place", multiplication, decimals, etc., but I never learned about the place value chart. My niece has a problem doing her homework if it's not taught and explained using the same methods her teacher uses in class. I get those certain methods now that were not used to teach me. I never thought I would be tutoring and needing to capture math again. I've been tutoring my niece and I watched the videos on YouTube, as she watched them in class and knew she would appreciate my understanding of her. I enjoyed the videos, the math, and now, her thinking. It's true. It makes me happy. I hope you all get the pleasure I get reeducating myself to help another that's in need. I took college algebra and aced, but solving basic multiplication, division, and subtraction gave me another slice of cake. Math is delicious when you can solve.

No comments:

Post a Comment